Benton, Arkansas nurse Stacey Wilson recently treated herself to a pedicure at a nearby salon – while having her feet exfoliated, the salon worker applied too much pressure to the pumice stone, causing a small cut on the side of Stacey’s left foot and under her pinky toe.
Within a few hours, her left ankle became painful and swollen … The next day, the skin was red all the way to the knee, she was unable to walk on it and had a 102-degree fever. She immediately went to the hospital.
Stacey described the fever experience as feeling like she was next to a fire she could not escape from. The emergency room doctor who treated Stacey, Michael Pafford, said that infections are a common problem for those who frequently visit nail salons. The problem is linked to equipment that has not been sterilized properly. He advises people who suspect there is unclean equipment in use to stop the procedure right away and thoroughly wash the area that came in contact with it.
Stacey is expected to make a full recovery from her unfortunate experience but will be contacting the Arkansas Health Department to file a formal complaint against the nail salon.